Special Educational Needs and Disabilities

Our SEND Coordinator is Miss Kathryn Foster. You can contact her by email  Kathryn.foster@hanslope.milton-keynes.sch.uk or by phone 01908 510245.

Our SEND governor is Mrs Frances Duck. She can be contacted through her school email frances.duck@hanslope.milton-keynes.sch.uk or via the school office.


SEND Information report link

https://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/schools-and-lifelong-learning/send-local-offer – the Milton Keynes local offer provides information for parents, carers and educators on the support available for children and young people.

The SEND policy can be found on the school website in the policy section https://www.hanslopeschool.co.uk/parents/policies


Equality and disability access policy link – add here

Local offer Facebook Page – regular updates from the Local Offer https://www.facebook.com/MKSEND/


SEN at Hanslope:

Hanslope Primary School is committed to providing a high quality, accessible education for all children. We believe that all children, including those identified as having a special educational need or disability, should have access to a broad and balanced academic and social curriculum. This should be adapted, where necessary, to allow all children to be fully included in all aspects of school life.

At Hanslope Primary School, we celebrate that all our pupils are individuals with different strengths and needs. Sometimes we identify children who have specific learning needs and require extra provision to meet their needs. We support children with additional needs in different ways including providing differentiated activities, small group work, pre- teaching or implementing adult support through group interventions.

We maintain a register of children with Special Educational Needs as well as a Record of Concern register which helps to ensure that all children receive the appropriate level of support and that children’s needs are monitored.

The categories on our SEN register currently are:

School Support – Children who need additional support that may involve seeking advice from external agencies outside the school for example: Speech and Language Therapists, Educational Psychologists and Milton Keynes Specialist Teachers Team.

Education Heath Care Plan (EHCP) –  Children whose special educational needs require more support than would be provided under SEN Support. The Local Authority makes decisions on which children require these based on an EHC Needs Assessment. More information can be found about this here: https://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/schools-and-lifelong-learning/send-local-offer/send-local-offer-schools-and-professionals/ehc-needs-assessments

  Children with EHCPs make up 0.4% of children on roll.

Children on SEN Support encompass the four main areas of SEN need:

  • Communication and Interaction
  • Learning and Cognition
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health
  • Sensory and Physical

Meeting your child’s needs:

How do we identify pupils who need additional support in school?

The process of identifying that a child might need additional support within school or specialist advice from an outside agency will involve a conversation between school and parents/carers at the earliest opportunity. This makes sure that parents and carers are consulted at every step of the process in order that they are kept fully informed about the help their child is given as well as the results of the help that has been given.

Central to our approach to teaching and learning is the notion of success.  We, therefore, place great emphasis on enabling children to identify and feel proud of successes that they achieve both in school and in wider activities.

Who is responsible for ensuring that there is suitable provision for children with SEND?

Provision for children with special educational needs is planned and delivered by the school as a whole.  This whole school approach to special educational needs means that every member of staff takes responsibility for every pupil that they teach.  The senior leadership team, together with the special educational needs co-ordinator and the governing body, will provide advice, guidance and support where necessary. 

How do we ensure that parents / carers are involved in decisions about additional support for their child?

At Hanslope Primary School we know that all parents and carers want the best for their children and for them to be happy and achieve their potential at school. We believe that success in education of our children depends, at least in some part, on how parents, carers and school work together and this is particularly important when the child has an additional need. Parents and carers know their children best and we want to take into account your views and experience to increase the effectiveness of any provision put in place for your child.

How do we ensure that parents / carers are kept informed about their child’s learning needs and progress?

At Hanslope Primary School, it is our goal to work in partnership with parents/ carers to ensure each child’s needs are well met. Each child will have an Individual Pupil Plan which will be created termly by the class teacher taking into account the views of the child and their parents/ carers, so that we can discuss what is working well and what we might need to do differently. This plan gives details of the specific targets a child is working towards.

If your child is on the Special Needs Register, you will be regularly consulted by their teacher and invited into school to discuss your child’s learning needs (this is currently an email conversation due to Covid19 rules). Coming to these review meetings gives parents an opportunity to talk in greater detail about the support that is in place for their child.

If you wish to discuss your child’s needs further, please contact your child’s class teacher in the first instance and do not hesitate to contact Mrs Edwards who is our SEN Coordinator if you need any further support.

Helpful links/ contacts:

MK SEND IAS on 01908 254518 also provide an impartial source of information, advice and support for parents particularly if your child is going through the ECHP assessment process.

British Dyslexia Association - https://www.bdadyslexia.org.uk/advice

Free mental health advice and resources https://www.minded.org.uk/

Advice on supporting children with memory difficulties https://www.parentingscience.com/working-memory.html

Speech, language and communication links:





Sensory and Physical needs:

National Deaf Children’s Society - https://www.ndcs.org.uk/#

Royal National Institute for Blind People https://www.rnib.org.uk/

Vision UK https://www.visionuk.org.uk/starting-point-leaflet/

Occupational Therapy Service https://www.milton-keynes.gov.uk/schools-and-lifelong-learning/send-local-offer/localoffer-search/service/48

Sen Information

Updated: 13/09/2023 101 KB